Everyone knows professional engineering license requirements vary from state to state of the United States of America(USA). We will demonstrate the criteria and conditions to be met before having professional engineering licensure. Stay tuned with us.
To know in details of the requirements you should read the following materials thoroughly-
- New York State Education Law (Article 145, Professional Engineering, Land Surveying and Geology)
- Commissioners Regulations-Part 68
- General Licensing Information
There are several requirements to be met before you can be a licensed professional engineer in New York state. There are some common and general rule you should know first-
- You should have a good moral character
- Your age should be 21 years+
- You have to qualify in terms of education, experience and examination requirements.
There are some exemption of the above rules mentioned in Section 7208 of Education Law.
Education and Experience Requirements
Simply speaking there are two parts to be a licensed engineer. Part A is the requirements to participate in the Fundaments of Engineering examination and Part B is to take part in the Principle and Practice Examination for licensure.
- For Part A, 6 years of credit required.
- For Part B, 12 years of credit is required.
Education/Experience based credits for NYC licensure is presented below to make understanding clear. Judge yourself, how many credits do you have and how many years of experience you need to qualify for the exam.
To be a licensed professional engineer in New York state you must need to attend and pass the following exams administered by NCEES
- Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam
- The Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) Exam
To know in details of the exam administered by NCEES, you must have to read NCEES Examinee Guide.
The first registration and licensure fee is $377 including licensing fee for the first three years after your license has been issued. You can send a check or money order payable to New York State Education Department at the following address-
NYS Education Department
Office of the Professions
P.O. Box 22063
Albany, NY 12201
In any case, do not send cash and keep the receipt for security reasons.
N.B: “We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites