What to expect during PE Civil CBT Exam?
NCEES is transforming all of its PE and FE exams into Computer-Based Tests (CBT) commonly termed as CBT. The transformation process started in 2011 and almost all of the exams have been transformed except a few.
Till 2021, PE Civil exams will be held in paper and pencil format. From 2022 and further, all of the PE Civil exams will be administered as CBT. Paper and pencil format exams are now taken at a specific time of the year whereas if it is shifted to CBT, it will be taken all year-round. Let’s discuss this in detail.
Duration of Test and Time Management
If you sit for the PE Civil CBT test you have to spend 9 hours. The actual test time is 8 hours. The 9 hours are distributed as follows-
- 2 minutes are allocated for on screen Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) which you have to agree to proceed to the next step.
- The next 8 minutes will be a tutorial on how to use the on-screen reference manual and codes and overall system.
- 8 hours is allocated for the actual test (4 hour morning breadth+4 hour afternoon depth test)
- 50 Minutes break in between the morning breadth and afternoon depth test.
Where you have to appear to attend the test?
The test will be administered at the approved Pearson VUE Test Centers. Location of the test centers can be found here.
When to register for the PE Civil CBT?
The registration for PE Civil CBT exam will be started from November 1, 2021. You can login to your MyNCEES account and schedule the date you want to sit PE Civil CBT Exam.
What are the associated fees?
You have to pay $375 directly to NCEES. But based on licensing board you may need to pay an extra fee. Check the licensing board requirements from here.
Is there any accommodation Facility?
Yes, there is. You have to show proper documents to prove your point of disability or other necessities. You can check the requirements for accommodation or the facilities from here.
What are the exam specifications and adopted design standards?
Exam specifications are different for all five major fields of the PE Civil exam. As the exam specifications and design standards change frequently, it is better to check the exam specifications and design standards beforehand from here. The exam specificctaions and dsesign standards are listed below:
- PE Civil: Construction Exam Specification and Design Standard (PDF Download)
- PE Civil: Geotechnical Exam Specification and Design Standard (PDF Download)
- PE Civil: Structural Exam Specification and Design Standard (PDF Download)
- PE Civil: Transportation Exam Specification and Design Standard (PDF Download)
- PE Civil: Water Resources and Environmental Exam Specification and Design Standard (PDF Download)
What are the pass rates in PE Civil Exam?
Pass rates varies each year for each discipline. You have the opportunity to check the previous years pass rates for each discipline from here.
When the outcome of the exam will be declared? Is it open to all?
First of all, the outcome is not open to all. After taking the CBT test, the result will be emailed to you within 7 to 10 days. You can then log in to your MyNCEES account and check what you have to do next. Instruction on the next steps will be there for your specific licensing board.