Creep of Concrete:
Creep of Concrete is a time-dependent phenomenon. When concrete is under sustained load(dead load only) it faces some sort of deformation although the stress level is unchanged. This time-dependent plastic deformation of concrete in termed as creep of concrete.
Factors Affecting Creep of Concrete:
- Environmental Conditions
- Water-Cement ratio of Concrete (W/C Ratio)
- Material Properties of Concrete
- Age of Concrete
- Aggregate and Cement Quality
What problems may be caused?
- Deflection of the concrete member may increase
- May cause buckling in the column due to increased sustained loading
- Loss of prestress in prestressed concrete member